Skip to main content

Well Hello World . . . How Are Ya?

Yeah . . . it's been a VERY long time since my last post . . . January . . . I'm just not good at remembering to blog [even though I have several reminders set up] or could it just be that I see things as particularly mundane? I have been convicted of this lately, that my world is anything but mundane and that I need to look at it from other angles, if you will. With that, here's what's been happening since that so distance month . . .

1. I enjoyed the blessing of working with high school girls (yes, you read that right) at the best game on earth: softball. It was an amazing, and honestly life changing experience for me. I absolutely loved working with those girls and learned so much about that awkward age and about my own apprehensions to this age group - now I love them! They ended the season with a District record of 6-6 and we played two playoff games to go into the actual playoff games. However, we were unsuccessful in our attempts to go on with our season but as a whole the season in itself was a GREAT success.

2. I had the great blessing of going to Oklahoma City with three amazing ladies: my mother-in-law, her sister [aunt-in-law], and sister-in-law. Can I say that I have the best in-laws in the world? Why yes I do. The conference was an amazing experience and was well needed after a mini season of mourning [will elaborate more later]. I am more at peace with many of the things in my life but yet have many more questions that have been an aide in my reading the word more. Plus, I had many "interesting" memories with these great ladies; from Sharon's desire in purchasing a pretty risque book for her and Jim (mmhmm) to the CrAzY bumps and WIND. Yes, it was an interesting little shindig and I can't wait to get to do it again!

3. On a sadder/happier note [oxymoron? you will see the reasoning], on April 4th I heard through a text from my sister that a very influential friend of mine past away in a 4-wheeler accident. His life has affected me so much and I think his death has been an even more influential thing to me. even as I write this, I am crying like crazy as I miss his great smile, his AMAZING hugs, and the way that he just made me feel like I was important. Through this experience I have begin to learn the importance of friendship and truly being a friend to all. I have been more drawn to the word [though I have been very inconsistent with my reading, which will also come back later] and have been more purposeful with my choices. I am still learning and stumbling but, more importantly, I am growing and that feels good. Colton's death is a happy thing because I will see him again and I feel that our Father is more real than I have ever known Him to be - and that in itself is a great thing. I miss you buddy!

4. Didn't I mention that I have the best in-laws ever? Well, once again it's true and I had the immense blessing of being able to spend a whole weekend with Karl's mom side of the family and it was actually everyone on their side, outside of Granny and her generation. In all there were all 9 second cousins, nieces, and nephews, all 7 cousins and their spouses, my brother- & sister-in-law, all 4 aunts and uncle [and their spouses]. [I hope all my numbers are right, sorry if I miscalculated] Anyway, it was a really great time and I had a lot of great conversations with some great people. I really enjoyed spending time out on this big boat on some lake in Austin where we could just hang out, talk, and enjoying the beautiful homes there . . . and maybe do just a little dreaming about one day . . . :) It's ok to dream, right? "I can almost see it, that dream I'm dreaming . . ." :). Out of the whole weekend, though, I have to say that my favorite memories were at the hotel. I absolutely hanging out with Karl's family and spending time with Nat and Mara and their three beautiful children. Talk about some great blessings right there! Madelynn is definitely growing up way too fast and is just too fun to have conversations with. While we were at the hotel we were well known by their staff due to this little cutie. Let's see, there was the whole spilling the cooler in the hallway, pushing the emergency button in the elevator, and then pulling the stopper on the cooler to create, yet again, another spillage. :) She was so quick to "clean" and it was a joy to get to experience these silly feats with her. Karl definitely got his share of enjoyment from his little shadow Payton. She just loves him and I love that. Then there is the chunkster Stetson. I just love his huge smile! Adore those kids! All in all, it was a great weekend.

5. On another sad note, my camera was stolen. That's all I want to say about that. :(

6. Oh, I forgot to mention that while us girls were gone to Oklahoma City, the boys headed out to Nat and Mara's for the weekend and they brought my silly girl: Kiana. Apparently she had an amazing time since when she came home she wanted to do nothing but sleep for two days. Silly girl! They apparently they had an AMAZING time, and I like that!

7. AND, Karl and I just celebrated our 2nd Wedding Anniversary this Monday. Can you believe it? I know that it caught me by surprise - I can't believe it's been 2 years already! God has blessed me with the perfect man for me. He definitely created us with each other in mind. He is the polar opposite of me at so many times and yet we have so much in common. He is amazing at keeping me grounded and helping me to realize the bigger picture. If only I could get better about submitting to him - he is definitely loving me! I don't want to get too mushy so we'll just leave it at this: I'm immensely blessed.

Alright, I think that hits the high points - if I missed something, it's due to my horrible memory and the fact that I am so stinking tired right now. In a word, our lives have been richly blessed and I can no longer take these things for granted.

I am going to attempt something that I have never done before. In attempts to better myself in many different areas in my life, I am going to try to blog about my weight loss (hopefully) and my daily readings. Let's see what happens. Currently, I have not done anything to day in either area and plan to begin this tomorrow. I hope to read and workout in the morning to start the day of right.

Prayer Request: My father, a cancer and heart attack survivor who continues to drink and smoke, is going in next Friday, the 13th, to schedule surgery to remove two masses in his colon that were precancerous as of his last scare in the hospital back in March. I am having a hard time with this as he keeps making, in my mind, the wrong decisions about his health when he saw his father doing this exact same thing and dying at a young age. Pray for both of us- him for healing from his ailments and addictions and me from blaming myself and feeling guilty for his decisions.

Also, my girlie friend at school informed us that she is PREGNANT and is due on November 5th. We're so excited for her!!!

Tomorrow we're heading to the Junnell Center to be there for one of my other girlie friend from school who is graduating with her Masters. She's going to be "in tha hood" tomorrow!! So excited for her! Adios!

Comments

  1. Can I just say I LOVE this?!?! We really do have some awesome In-laws huh?? Lots of sweet, sweet memories. Wish we could all be together more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for inviting me to your blog.....i love reading it and have to say....that our family is totally blessed beyond measure by all the wonderful addition thru marriages and births God showered us with over these years!
    I had an absolute blast, at the fam reunion! i loved seeing everyone chat, share and laugh. Smiles abounded that weekend and that is something awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood Movement, Part II

Last week I started sharing my thoughts from an Instagram story I stumbled upon. Here is part II.   "There is a movement of mothers, feeling pulled back to the forgotten skills of their great-grandmother's generation." @siloandsage When we were really little, I remember going to my paternal great-grandmother's house - especially playing games there with my sister. More recent memories with her included visits in her home and celebrating her 100th birthday among family. Those were many years ago now. The short story is that I don't have too many memories with my great-grandmother that were long lasting BUT I do have MANY, many beautiful memories with my maternal grandmother. -Surviving tornadoes in her basement and playing Can't Stop. -Toasted tomato sandwiches. YUM! -Her teeth popping out when she laughed too hard. This happened quite often. -Riding Mr. Freeze with her as a teenager - did I mention she was 60+ years older than me??? I seriously could go on an...

Writer's Corner Numbers 9 and 10

I’m taking a short break from talking about Alaska today in hopes of sharing my perspective on something that is now called Patriot’s Day: September 11th. I found myself being wrapped up in the remembering of this day this year. Although I do not know any individuals that were directly impacted this day in 2001 I still feel remorse for this day. I was listening to the radio a few weeks ago when the DJs were challenging their listeners to do something of importance for anyone on Patriot’s Day – to show them love and appreciation. I heard them mentioning something about thanking your local officials, including police officers and fire fighters. Right then a thought came to me – HUGE and vivid. I began writing to my principal with this plan that I had for my school. I am so glad that my school has jumped on board with this, especially with such short notice. We’re not doing the plans large scale this year but hope to do so next year. Each grade level “adopted” a fire station and all of ou...

Writer's Corner 7-8, Week 2: Alaskan Honeymoon, Part 1

The past few times that I have begun to write I have had a “block” and just couldn’t think of what to write. Tonight is another one of those times. So, I decided to look back at my ideas from previous weeks and go from there. One thing that I know I can write a lot about is our honeymoon. I don’t think I have ever gotten a chance to share it with anyone before so . . . here goes. Wedding day: May 2nd, 2009. Every honeymoon begins with a wedding, right? We got married at my church home in Buffalo Gap, TX. We greatly enjoyed it – especially being “arrested” and taken away in a Sheriff squad car. I can officially say that I have ridden in the back of one and have been handcuffed. It was a lot of fun. Well, we got to the actual get-away car to find that my sister and his brother forgot to leave the keys. So, we made a call and then they were there with the keys. It was actually quite comical. We stayed in Abilene for the night at a beautiful hotel. The next day we drove to our rent hous...